[LMB] height, was Sharing Knife - more stray thoughts

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 28 20:15:49 GMT 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, at 20:05, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 14:15:51 +0000, John Lennard
> <john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >AIUI, the rapid increases in average height in various cultures/ethnicities
> >(including the UK) observable from or after about 1900 are thought to be
> >attributable largely to canned baby foods, which use sugar as a
> >preservative. Ramp up the calorific intake in the first 2 years of life,
> >and your Uncle Bob is increasingly likely to play basketball.
> >
> >It's continuing, also. I'm 6'4" (I.93 metres), and 35 years ago I was very
> >usually the tallest person in the room ; now any number of students loom
> >above me.
>
> The average height in Japan has increased since WWII, I gather

A chemical engineer neighbour reported a trip to Japan in 1965 where on an oil refinery tour, as he expected, he had often had to watch his head and duck for overhead pipes. He then noticed his hosts were ducking too!

https://elifesciences.org/articles/13410/figures

--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames