[LMB] Sharing Knife: What's out there?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Jan 28 21:00:26 GMT 2019

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 07:04:37PM +0000, Marc Wilson wrote:

> >Because ocean travel is hard?  We went for millennia without Old
> >World/America or Eurasia/Australia contact.
>
> Did we?  They keep pushing back arrival dates at various locations, as
> new evidence arrives.

That's for First Americans, from Asia, by land or coast-hopping routes.
The only confirmed Atlantic contacts I know of are Leif Eriksson, then
Columbus.  And Columbus is clearly the only contact that made a big
change.  Whether or not any Japanese or Polynesian sailors got blown to
the Americas, Japan and China had no solid idea anything was to their
east and the Polynesians don't seem to have either.

Hell, Japan-Polynesia doesn't seem to have been a thing.

-xx- Damien X-)