[LMB] Knife Children (The Sharing Knife series) Available

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Jan 28 21:25:11 GMT 2019

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 01:07:24PM -0700, Howard Brazee wrote:

> > On Jan 28, 2019, at 12:46 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> That will be my last Kindle purchase for a while.   Amazon changed its DRM procedure and I can’t convert the book to .epub.
> >
> > Go to your Amazon account, and download it to PC (for "sideload" use).
> > It will arrive in the previous format, and Calibre can process it, as
> > long as the device you choose has its serial number plugged into the
> > de-DRM plugin.
>
> The day before “Knife Children” came out, I downloaded a book using my wife’s Amazon account.   It loaded into Calibre as an KFX book.   With “Knife Children”, I tried the same thing, but it loaded into Calibre as a KFZ-ZIP book, and Calibre couldn’t read nor convert it.

Howard, the fact that Calibre reports it as KFX-ZIP makes me think that
your Calibre either doesn't have the KFX plugin, or that the one it has
is not the latest (I assume you've got an up-to-date  DeDRM installed,
and that your Kindle-for-MAC is not newer than 1.24).

> I restored a 32-bit version of Kindle for Mac and was able to use it to download “Knife Children” in a format that Calibre could convert.   But the next version of Mac OSX won’t run 32-bit programs.
>
> My wife’s old Kindle is a Kindle Fire.   I can’t use Android File Transfer to copy “Knife Children” from it to a Mac, so I ordered a refurbished Kindle Paperwhite (2013) 6" Reader (S&D) from Woot for $36+tax.   Apparently I can transfer books from it to my Mac without DRM.   I expect I won’t use it for anything else unless my iPad breaks.
>
> My brother sells books that are Amazon exclusive, so I need to still buy from Amazon.   I get my son’s books elsewhere.
>
> I will still pay more when I know that a supplier sells a DRM-free book, but how do I know?    Was “Knife Children” available from such a source?

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."