[LMB] Sharing Knife: What's out there?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 01:14:00 GMT 2019

From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 12:32:31PM +0000, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> There's some continents over the ocean - why has nobody, in a
> millennia, come to find them? No boat blown off course, ever?

Because ocean travel is hard?  We went for millennia without Old
World/America or Eurasia/Australia contact.

Gwynne: Once we knew it was possible and had the right ships, European
explorers were all over the place. And the WGW had that technology at
some stage, since they have maps of the other continents. Or, at least the
other continents had that technology.

So where are all the brave explorers? They found Easter Island with CANOES
for heaven's sake, and it's just a speck in a REALLY big ocean. Thor Heyerdahl
got across most of the Pacific on woven rafts. It can be done, it has been done.

But it's not happening there. For centuries, even a millennia or so. Why not?