[LMB] Sharing Knife: What's out there?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 01:35:13 GMT 2019

From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 07:04:37PM +0000, Marc Wilson wrote:
> Did we?  They keep pushing back arrival dates at various locations, as
> new evidence arrives.

That's for First Americans, from Asia, by land or coast-hopping routes.
The only confirmed Atlantic contacts I know of are Leif Eriksson, then
Columbus.  And Columbus is clearly the only contact that made a big
change.  Whether or not any Japanese or Polynesian sailors got blown to
the Americas, Japan and China had no solid idea anything was to their
east and the Polynesians don't seem to have either.
Hell, Japan-Polynesia doesn't seem to have been a thing.

Gwynne: Polynesians ranged the Pacific for millennia. They colonised some
spots, traded with some, didn't find it economic to have regular contact
with others.

Thor Heyerdahl had some interesting ideas about previous contacts across
the Pacific. There's some possible proof of early Egyptian contact in northern
Australia.

We don't have enough data to know how those earlier cultures impacted
on each other. But we do know that there was earlier contact. For some
cultures ocean travel was a normal part of life.

To return to WGW, we know that ocean travel is possible in relatively small
vessels as well as larger ones. We know that they have knowledge of other
continents. And presumably other continents have knowledge of them.

Human nature being what it is, I can't believe that in a thousand years
not one person was brave, desperate, lost, determined, greedy or curious
enough to come and see what's happening.