[LMB] TSK: Dar then Fawn, omnibus reply

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 15:58:45 GMT 2019

Of Dar, Gwynne notes:
>Dar is the best knife maker in a camp of a few thousand
>people. Dag -- [Lakewalkers everywhere] == write songs
>about him. ... Dag is a star, in their world. And Dar is
>a knifemaker, a good knifemaker, but ... just known in
>that one small camp.
     My one-track mind is now trying to stretch this very
pertinent observation into a parallel with Boromir and
Faramir.  The famous one who wanders and has adventures
and the one who does an equally important duty in such
seclusion it verges on anonymity.  And of course because
TSK is an inversive response, here Dag is the one true to
his task and Dar is the one flawed.

     I said it was a stretch.

     I do agree from observation and personal experience
that siblings make efforts, unconscious and otherwise, to
sharply distinguish themselves from each other.

     Aside: My two daughters were close in age and general
appearance and, as parents, it was convenient for us to
dress them much alike.  I would tell anyone who asked this
was a practical matter. Should one go astray we could point
the to other and say, "Have you seen anybody that looked
just like this, except in a Superman print on the jacket
instead of Spiderman?"  It came up only once but was very
expedient for the security guy at the festival barking more
detailed descriptions into his walkie-talkie. Of course
this styling drew frequent remarks. "Oooh, aren't they
cute, are they twins?"  "No, we liked the first one so much
we had her cloned..." BUT -- despite parental pressures or
maybe because of them, they've made efforts to be just  --
different.  Bangs or no bangs. Nails, long or short.
Glasses or contacts. The campus close to home or the one
across town.  Different. Distinct.  Each prioritizing a
unique permutation of virtues.  We need not immediately
discuss how a third and male sibling goes about
distinguishing HIMself from two sisters...)

     Did Dar win his dispute about Dag's camp credits when
Dag failed to show up for the camp "appeal" hearing at the
winter site?  Or did anyone manage to secure, on Dag's
behalf, some sort of postponement?  It seemed to me the
terms of the impoundment was less like a "bail bond" than a
"trust".  In the first situation the assets are pledged
against the return of the defendent.  Failure to appear
results in forfeiture.  In the second, the assets are
usuallly not pledged to any party until disputes are wholly
settled. If the latter is true there may be interest plot
bunnies for Dag and Dar to face off, once again on their
old dispute, in round two.       If anyone from Camp Hickory Lake is ordered to Clear
Creek to learn to construct ground-sheilding walnuts,
wouldn't it be Dar? Yet I almost imagine stubborn Dar,
hearing the general description of the techniques, refusing
to leave.  He'd claim, maybe with justification, that (a)
he could work it out on his own; and (b) it was all Dag
stealing and perverting his (Dar's) own techniques in the
first place, nothing new to learn; and (taking after his
mother, both) (c) there's really no way anything like that
would really work; and (d) the RIGHT way to do something
like that would be completely different and given no more
time than that would be wasted in travel, Dar could work it
for himself.  In all cases,  it means Dar wants to stay in
his shop, stay away from Dag, and do his own thing.       Being Dar, he'd also, likely have some truth on his
side.  Dag set the ideal goal for his FarmerShield idea as
an ability to be put on and taken off.  A walnut shell
doesn't protect its kernel in such a fashion at all. It's
Intact or broken; it's binary; the change is one-time. But
a leather coat, say, exactly functions in the desired on-
and-off, back-and-forth fashion. And there is already
Lakewalker technique, if not literature, on constructing
(Dar almost certainly wouldn't call it "fashioning" )
protective leather coats. Similarly, the ground obscuring
skill of Lakewalkers is usually compared to a "veil" -- a
garment than a shield. Dar would gripe that Dag had it
wrong from the very git-go. Sufficiently stung, challenged,
threatened and inspired, it's likely to be Dar, rather than
Dag, who makes the most serious improvements to the
original prototype. (Though if Arkady is in camp and the
two of them are in competition, the WGW had better look
out!)      Gwynne asks about Fawn: >If she was six inches taller, with straight mousy hair,
>and not as pretty, would they have taken her a bit more
>seriously?      The problems of bringing a farmer girl into a
Lakewalker camp do seem to provide topics very ripe for
more exploration, I very much agree.  <snerk!>         Half Moon Cutoff seems to have a related (so to speak)
problem often enough to have needed and developed the
procedures, tests, and rituals to deal with it. It's
implied that the test is related to leading ground into a
working or making, such as a wedding cord. I'm wondering,
then, if Fawn's cord is more persuasive to those in
Arkady's camp, even without Arkady's influence, due to such
precedents?  Halfing (NO!  That's just going to start me
off on LOTR again!)  HALF-BLOOD children in Hickory Lake
are so unthinkable and rare that tests have not yet been
developed, and so the evidence of such tests is rejected.
One wonders about other camps, like Pearl Riffle.  <snerk!>