[LMB] Sharing Knife: The Raintree malice

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 18:03:34 GMT 2019

Gwynne asks, of the Raintree malice:

>Just what was it trying to do? A tower... drawing in
>ground... how much more was it going to evolve? Is
>there a final stage when it's finished?

     The Glassforge malice was digging a hole.  Dag
thinks they're (a) plain crazy and (2) susceptible to
the goals of the first sentient mind they rip. So the
new town of Greenspring was, er, springing up new
buildings right and left, and like all such places
adding on additions, gables, clerstory windows, entire
second and third story structures, all to get more work-
and=living space into the best locations. And children
playing in such an environment mirror adult desires and
behaviors and build their own lego or jenga or lincoln
log towers ... So, most likely, there would be no "final
stage" to the malice's effort.

     Compare, say, Barad-dûr.
     Gwynee again:

>     [Dar is] vicious. And being able to read her
>ground, knowing how she's feeling, makes it all so much
>worse. (And he tells her she's beguiled by Dag -
>couldn't a Lakewalker tell?)

     Given Dag's discovery of how beguilement does work --
with imbalanced ground between the Lakewalker and the
beguiled--  Dar may be partly correct. The novel and
unfamiliar implant of Dag's ground into Fawn's arm via
the wedding cord no doubt LOOKS like "the wrong amount
in the wrong place."  I also enjoy private head-canon
that this particular making and sharing is not following
blood into the marriage cord -- but instead works with
and upon Dag's live ground in the exising cord AND with
Dag's ground in the still-living sperm he'd previously,
uhm,  deposited within his wife. I infer this from the
direction-seeking feature ...

>     Hoharie is ... surprised it can function over a
>hundred miles or so. [And] is getting interested.

     Were the technique to offer general utility, and
(as Fawn had previously suggested) could be linked to
Fairbolts peg-map, it would be VERY interesting.  That
the camp doesn't take it up experiments shows the lack
of experimental-attitude we've already discussed, and
perhaps how personal and intimate that making was. It's
still a mystery why Dag didn't repeat or renew the
working for other occasions and risks -- like falling
off a boat and being washed some ways away. I also
could entertain the idea that he DID.  After being
carried away by giant bats off the Trace, Dag had
no more trouble sensing Fawn's direction, as well as
life, than Fawn had his, earlier.  During the Raintree
campaing, Dag was too busy to notice, and afterwards,
well, there are discussions they might not have
opened up about to Barr, Remo, etc.