[LMB] Sharing Knife: What's out there?

Ursula uleubner at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 02:42:26 GMT 2019

We know the Gray river is gray because it drains the Western Levels, which is a vast region of old blighted land. We also know that this land is deadly poison, killing all who venture there.

It follows that the water of the Gray is contaminated with blighted soil, eroding out of the Western Levels. Apparently not at a level of concentration to make the water immediately poisonous, but what are the long-term effects of exposure? We only see the river after it has flowed through a considerable length of non-blighted land, picking up live soil through erosion. Is the water upstream, coming directly from the blighted Western Levels toxic?

How far south do the Western Levels go?  f you go far enough along the coast, heading west, do you reach a point where the Western Levels reach the sea? And at that point, is the water toxic enough with blight that you potential explorers can't refill their water supplies safely?

Also, we know that malices don't come up on blight. Could the scarcity of malices in the south be, not because they were killed off, but because low levels of blight in the soil/water, brought south from the Western Levels by erosion, suppress them?

Blight as soil contamination has broad implications, affecting both water and air quality, and being something that can be moved through natural forces, rather than a purely static threat.

- Ursula L