[LMB] Sharing Knife: Fawn

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:48:40 GMT 2019

From: Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 8:57 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> If she was six inches taller, with straight mousy hair, and not as
> pretty, would they have taken her a bit more seriously?

oh ghu, not this again - has anyone read "A Spell for Chameleon" by Piers
Anthony, 1977?  In the magical land of Xanth, there's a woman  who has a
monthly cycle... she goes from pretty and dumb to ugly and smart.
BECAUSE OF COURSE A PRETTY WOMAN CAN'T BE SMART
ADSLOPIRGHPOIAGERHP[ANH[IOBAO[IHAGOI[ARGO[IJAGROIJ[.
Ahem.  Pardon me.  Why no, this trope hasn't ever affected anyone I know,
why do you ask? :(
Sylvia

Gwynne: I'm not presenting it as valid, I'm pointing out that many of the
Lakewalkers are falling for this idea. Fawn is being judged on her appearance,
she's small and cute and nice, and so they assume that Dag just fell for the
pretty package and is being self-indulgent. They don't realise how fiercely
smart she is, or how she questions and explores every new idea and
experience. Or how determined she can be. It works for her when they tell
 her not to go to Raintree; it never occurs to anyone that she'll simply steal
a map and go.

But if the package wasn't so attractive, maybe some of them would have
realised that there were other reasons for Dag to fall for her, and they
 wouldn't have dismissed their bond so quickly.