[LMB] Sharing Knife: What's out there?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:59:26 GMT 2019

From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

I like thinking of malices as a result of the powerful magicians being short-term greedy at the expense of the long-term, and it got away from them, with obvious parallels with our world today.
But there were some who were able to create the Lakewalkers to counter this.   They were a conservative response that has worked for a long time, but times change.   Maybe it?s time to go to the next step.

Gwynne: I don't get the impression that Lakewalkers were created afterwards.
It seems that Lakewalkers are the descendants of the surviving mages, and
farmers are the descendants of the working class, servants, slaves, whatever.
But they weren't created differently, since despite all the differences due to
selective breeding, they can still interbreed and produce fertile young.

After some vast war and shattering victory, or loss, or both, the survivors had
were probably the lower-level magic users, the support staff to the top level ones
who were killed, or sacrificed themselves for victory. And the survivors were left
with some horrendous losses, of just about everything - their cities were
lost in a huge lake, a lot of information and hardware gone. And a new task facing
them, when they realised the war wasn't quite over. They had enough understanding
of whatever created the malices that they knew how to fight them. And they
passed that knowledge on but most of the rest was either lost or deliberately
hidden. They didn't want to make the same mistakes again.

The rest is just selective breeding. One of the rants agains Fawn (from Dar, I think)
mentions that Lakewalkers with little groundsense or ability tend not to marry or
breed, so they've been concentrating their talents for a millennia. But they're
still just one end of a spectrum that includes farmers.