[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 170, Issue 3

Douglas Weinfield douglasw at his.com
Tue Jul 2 15:00:09 BST 2019

Ok, I'm feeling feisty.

> I think this is error, as the Five can act in the world only through
> humans, animals, or plants, if I recall the text correctly.

1)  The Fifth is part demon. As such, it's possible he has slightly more
influence.
2)  Who says the gods wouldn't have been working through someone?  If the
gods can reach through someone to send a demon to rip the soul out of
someone else, I fail to see why they couldn't arrange one little heart
attack.

In response...

1. It's only one human theory that the Bastard was partially the offspring (so to speak) of a demon. So this just strikes me as idle speculation. If you want to move beyond canon, sure, go ahead. Moreover, the Fifth is not a demon; S/He destroys demons, upon their return to the Bastard's realm. If the Bastard can casually throw heart attacks like lightning bolts, why didn't S/He kill any of the evil sorcerors in "Paladin of Souls"?

2. The Gods cannot influence someone's free will-that's fundamental. What's the means by which the gods arranged Ruchia's heart attack, working through a human? One of the attendants became convinced that the heart attack was a good idea, and poisoned Ruchia? When you say "I fail to see", that lacks any rigor. You need to show, or at least speculate, who the gods influenced, why they influenced, and then what that person actually did to cause the heart attack.