[LMB] The Powers of the Gods, was Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 170, Issue 3

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:41:45 BST 2019

From: Douglas Weinfield <douglasw at his.com>

2. The Gods cannot influence someone's free will-that's fundamental. What's the means by which the gods arranged Ruchia's heart attack, working through a human? One of the attendants became convinced that the heart attack was a good idea, and poisoned Ruchia? When you say "I fail to see", that lacks any rigor. You need to show, or at least speculate, who the gods influenced, why they influenced, and then what that person actually did to cause the heart attack.

Gwynne: I think we're looking at this from the wrong end. The gods (probably)
can't send heart attacks. But they do know what's coming, they can see ahead,
probably see it all at once, as Cazaril thought - they can plan a long way ahead.
So the gods probably knew that Ruchia was going to have a heart attack. And
they knew that Pen was going to be on that road.
Ruchia worked with the Bastard. She probably took hints now and then, without
question. So all the Bastard had to do was work out when her heart was going
to give out, where Penric would be at that time, and nudge her onto that road
at that time - which isn't difficult, look at all the nudges Caz had to get him to
the right places at the right times.