[LMB] OT: Downside of eBooks

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jul 5 22:57:53 BST 2019

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 05:32:25PM -0400, Matthew George wrote:
> I do believe people should abide by the contracts they make.
>
> On the other hand, I would be shocked - shocked! - to learn that people had
> broken the DRM on books and similar content so they could make personal
> backups and archives.
>
> At what point are we, the users, not bound by contracts offered in bad
> faith?

unfortunately, the answer to your qeustion is: when the Supreme Court says
it is illegal for companies to restrict their customers in such a manner.

In the meantime, I do keep un-restricted copies of things I pay for,
whenever possible. Why? because though it may not be illegal for
companies to force us to give up our rights, it is certainly immoral.

But you didn't hear me say any of those things. ;-{