[LMB] OT: Downside of eBooks

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jul 6 15:48:09 BST 2019

On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 07:29:56AM -0600, Howard Brazee wrote:

> > On Jul 6, 2019, at 7:02 AM, James M. BRYANT G4CLF <james at jbryant.eu> wrote:
> >
> > James - who buys Kindle books
> > on his computer, but does not
> > own a Kindle because they use
> > the cloud and not much local
> > memory and he wants access to
> > all his books even when he's
> > at sea or in the African Bush
> > and so has a reader with a
> > BIG memory card
>

> Earlier this year, I bought a Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2013) from Woot.   It cost less than $40, and I don’t use it.    But I can download Kindle books to my computer with the option of copying those books to that Kindle.   Instead, I load them to Calibre without DRM.

I now do pretty much the same thing, though I gave myself a new (gen 10)
paperwhite for Christmas.

I de-drm them with calibre, but if it's something I want to read on the
kindle I just let it download from amazon, being lazy.

previously, I used kindle-for-pc in a windows VM, but when mywindows
VM blew up I gave up on that.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.