[LMB] seal motto

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 18:26:43 BST 2019

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> From: Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>
>> We have Betriz's "The Bastard _always_ takes the leftovers.  Always.
>> It is His, His... it's His _job_.  He _can't_ not take a severed
>> soul ? I thought He already _had_."  By popular belief, at least,
>> the Bastard doesn't have the option of rejecting, as such.  There are
>> souls contaminated by being bound to spirit animals; there are those
>> who are confused by sudden or violent deaths, and not given the proper
>> rites to help them find their way.  And, of course, those who refuse
>> the call.  But the Bastard isn't rejecting them.

> Gwynne: I don't think carrying a spirit animal makes you contaminated:
> it was the son who took the shamans.

At the end of HH, each of the Five had their representative there,
to usher along the souls after they had been cleansed.

> And the manner of death doesn't
> seem to matter once the spirit is set free, soldiers mostly go to the Son.

I was thinking of Caz's work in/at Zavar, on the journey back from
Ibra.  "They were not god-rejected souls, then, just sundered, still
dizzied from their deaths and unable to find their way without proper
ceremonies."

> It's a bit odd, when you think about it; most people belong to the god
> of their age and stage; girls to the Daughter, once they marry they go to
> the Mother, fathers to the Father, young men to the Son. But people who
> are illegitimate like dy Cabon, and Nikys, seem to belong to the Bastard
> despite their other possibilities. Or maybe most people have more than
> one allegiance, and cover as many bases as possible (which would make
> sense.)

I don't *think* girls are switched to the Mother when they marry;
I think it's after they've had a child.  There are many edge cases:
any soldier of the Daughter's Order, for example.  A man switches from
the Son to the Father when he's fathered a child, even if he doesn't
know about it.  (And is that upon impregnation, or when the woman has
delivered a baby?  Gah.)

Joel