[LMB] seal motto

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 21:48:26 BST 2019

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 1:27 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> A man switches from
> the Son to the Father when he's fathered a child, even if he doesn't
> know about it

Hold everything - do we actually know that?  We have examples of men who
fathered children that they didn't publicly acknowledge and their families
didn't know about.  But I don't recall any examples of men who were fathers
yet ignorant of the fact who changed gods.

As becoming a parent (and knowing about it, rather than fathering a child
and never learning about it) is thought to be profoundly psychologically
altering, my stance was that was the change in how the person viewed
themselves that manages the switch.  Particularly if you then consciously
take up the role.  A women who became pregnant without planning to and gave
the kid up for adoption as soon as the birth occurs doesn't necessarily
become a devotee of the Mother, regardless of whether giving the kid up is
honorable under the circumstances or not.

Pen serves as an example of someone who made devotions to a deity not
because of any strong inclination but because it was expected of a person
in a certain role in life.  I don't think he's ever rejected the Brother,
or the Brother him, but neither do I think there was any strong
relationship there.

Lastly, I think it's clear that a person can devote themselves to any god.
Nikys seems to have chosen to take up the Bastard.  Men who serve as
guardians for the Daughter's order can be taken up by Her - and probably
certain scholars as well.  Both the gods and the worshipers make choices,
which may or not be compatible.  There are probably plenty of people who
were hoping to be taken up by Someone other than the Bastard, or who
expected the Father and get the Son, etc.