[LMB] kin Wolf?

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Fri Jul 12 16:54:21 BST 2019

That makes excellent sense.
________________________________
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 7:38 AM
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
Subject: [LMB] kin Wolf?

This is just speculation, and I hope I can express it clearly.

Ingrey (HH) and Inglis are both kin Wolfcliffe, and both carry wolves.
Inglis put a boar spirit in his friend Tollis, who was kin Boarford, and
Inglis says the two were 'already in sympathy' so it was easier.

I know that kin whatever-animal are clan names in the books, but I'm
wondering if they started not as a family identifier, but as a sign of which
type of animal spirit you carried? Maybe the early shamans were able to
match a warrior to the spirit that was the best fit - like a blood group.
So all the wolf-warriors were kin Wolf. Later each group stuck together
and had their own area; cliff, ford, etc. Over time it became the clan
name, and of course people would tend to stick with and marry into their
own group, strengthening the bonds.

Now, they've become family names, and they marry across clan lines,
but it seems that something remains, some residual preference for their
own creature.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to mathews55 at msn.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk