[LMB] kin Wolf?

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 18:34:19 BST 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:38 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> This is just speculation, and I hope I can express it clearly.
>
> Ingrey (HH) and Inglis are both kin Wolfcliffe, and both carry wolves.
> Inglis put a boar spirit in his friend Tollis, who was kin Boarford, and
> Inglis says the two were 'already in sympathy' so it was easier.
>
> I know that kin whatever-animal are clan names in the books, but I'm
> wondering if they started not as a family identifier, but as a sign of
> which
> type of animal spirit you carried? Maybe the early shamans were able to
> match a warrior to the spirit that was the best fit - like a blood group.
> So all the wolf-warriors were kin Wolf. (snip)

 I have read other stories explaining that the king does not have great
earth-sense by virtue of kinghsip, but people with great earth-sense become
kings.
They know when to plant and when to harvest, they give advice, people start
coming to them for advice -- and they get rich from knowing when to
harvest, never a bad thing in a king --  and things roll on from there.

So, it makes sense.

Sylvia