[LMB] kin Wolf?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 07:02:57 BST 2019

From: "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>

Micki: I think for me, this is going to have to strictly be a clever writing device,
not something to be thought about too deeply. Because making it work relies
on a lot of non-canon stuff.?

For example, say Lunet (fox, and I can't find her kin name) and Inglis?
(kin Wolfcliffe) get married and have baby shamans. Does she have to
take kin Wolfcliffe name? In that case, she'd be a Wolfcliffe with a fox spirit....

Gwynne: I was thinking more of it being the way animal spirits were organised
back at the beginning, before Audar messed things up. Over time, invasions,
and cultural change, the kinship system changed to the forms of marriage and
family that we see in the books (and in our world, too.) Old clans linked by
their great beasts settled into family names, and the modern version of
family.

After all, in the old days questions of inheritance could have been managed
differently - no titles to be passed on, each person had the rank they earned
(more in a military fashion, since it would be based on their warrior status).
Property probably held in common by the clan, shared by all members
(again in a more military fashion than familial.)

In the times of the books that older system is lost with so much else, but
the clan names and groups have evolved into families - which could make
sense, the warrior caste staying at the top over the non-warrior peasants.

And, maybe, some residual connections remain - after all we see two
Wolfcliffs with wolves, and Ingris notes that his Boarford friend had an
affinity to the boar. Or maybe it's just that the names become a self-fulfilling
prophecy.