[LMB] What would you choose?

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sat Jul 13 19:08:55 BST 2019

On Jul 13, 2019, at 2:02 AM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think having a very Good Boy (dog) as a Great Beast would be very
> healing, and more do-able for me. Smart, but biddable.
>
> No way would I want a wolf! LOL.

I very much like the idea of a wolf, but ... yeah.  The biddableness of dogs is variable -- guide dogs need to be able to assert their independent judgment against their owners, so they can't be too biddable (we were the host family and then the retirement home of a brood bitch for a service dog organization; she had failed out of a guide dog breeding program because she was too subservient -- lovely, smart dog, but a bit of a doormat -- but her puppies were perfect as service dogs).  But beyond the biddableness, dogs and people have evolved together, pretty much in a symbiotic relationship -- you don't actually need to have a Great Beast dog to get that.  That said, I love the dogs in Penric and the Shaman.  Dogs and gods, mmmm, perfect.

In fact, the glimpse Ingrey has of his wolf's lineage shows something much like the evolution of dogs.  So, when you create a Great Beast wolf, what you get is ... a very Good Dog?

Katherine