[LMB] University Stickers (WAS OT: Language)

BJ van Look vanlook at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 13 20:45:05 BST 2019

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 01:13:58 PM PDT, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> Yes, I know of half of a couple who qualified when I pointed this out to her.
> But the campus book store only had the one version.
For one very simple reason.

Marketing.

Product is expensive to keep in stock, whether or not is is expensive to produce. Rather than producing a "University Alumna" sticker AND a "University Alumnus" sticker--and having to keep both in stock from year to year to year--the sticker uses the allegedly gender neutral plural form to cover both the male and female forms.

We won't get into the notion that only male and female forms are applicable to humans (another good reason to use the allegedly gender neutral form).
This is even true at the all-women's college I attended in Missouri. It was the "College Alumni" because it is a marketing word that tells the general public that I attended such-and-such a place, and perhaps get them to google the name.
For actual alumnae, my CSC sweatshirt would be far more relevant.
BJ