[LMB] seal motto

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 22:16:55 BST 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 9:59 PM Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:

> That seems to be the human perspective on the issue; from what we see
> of Cazaril's vision near the end of CoC, and the encounter with Joen's
> demon, the B*stard's realm seems more like absolute swift destruction
> than an elaborate set of torments.  (One does wonder what becomes of
> the souls taken up the B*stard, then.)

Although the length of time the destruction takes might not correspond to
the subjective duration.  As in Aleister Crowley's "The Testament of
Magdalen Blair".

I'm pretty sure the souls taken up by the Bastard, like those taken up by
the other gods, are somehow incorporated into Him - although they may
remain distinct from other souls in the process.  If they're effectively
memories that are perfectly retained, it is both true that they retain
their natures and that they are irreversibly made part of the deity.

The Bastard's Hell, as it's called, seems to be a different state.  One
curiously compatible with the oldest Christian teachings about Hell,
actually - try looking what up the Gospels say Jesus said would happened to
the damned.  It's not what most people seem to think.

> There do seem to be people He loves (cf. in PoS); it's hard to believe
> that they'd just be wiped off the board like recovered demons.

The accumulated knowledge and personality a demon acquires is lost, because
they're like shells of nacre surrounding the grain of sand inside a pearl.
What's recovered is that grain, that tiny fragment of pure chaos, and
without anything to sustain or preserve it the other content is lost
instantly.  Human souls have a limited ability to persist, and the gods are
either eternal or are mortal but capable of sustaining themselves for a
long time.

It's seems likely that the Bastard's Hell is to the Gods what a heat sink
is to real-world engineered devices - a repository of increased entropy
used to maintain another system in relative order.

> (And are there demons who have something about them that the gods want to
> save [?]

There was at least one such.  He's a deity now.