[LMB] OT: 'mobi' metadata question

Michael Bauminger lmblist at mikebomb.com
Fri Jul 19 01:31:04 BST 2019

Does anyone know if it is possible, using Calibre or another tool, to
edit the metadata of an unencrypted .mobi book without completely
"converting" the books?

I have several .mobi books in a series and I'd like to be able to
retitle them internally as "Series - XX - Title" (where "XX" is the book
number in the series). I'm happy with the covers, the formatting etc.
but just want to retitle them so that it's easy to find and read them in
order on my phone.

I've tried using Calibre to edit the metadata and save them to disk, but
it does not seem as though the edited metadata is output into the books;
when I load them on my phone, they show the original titles. I don't
want to "convert" the books because that changes covers, formatting,
etc.

Does anyone know how to do this, whether in Calibre or in another free
or inexpensive tool?

-- Michael