[LMB] OT: University Stickers (WAS OT: Language)

Brian Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 17:13:27 BST 2019

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 11:42:28 -0400, Pamela Weber<pp.weber at gmail.com>
wrote, inter alia:
> Alert: lengthy Latin grammar divagation!

> Sorry to put in my 2 cents after months of quiet lurking, couldn't resist
> the rare chance to apply the 4 years of latin I endured 35 years ago.

[snip some really interesting discussion]

> Brian Ross Ashley <brashley46 at gmail.com>  wrote:

> The bumper sticker could have signified that the driver was_among_  the
> alumni of Big Honking Uni ...
>
> Sorry, Brian, that would be *inter alumnos*  since*inter*  calls for
> accusative because in this case the students would be the direct objects...
> unless I'm wrong and a dative is called for, in which case it would be *inter
> alumnis.* In either case you'd have to fit in the word *inter*  and alumn*i*
> would be wrong.

I think your 4 years 35 years ago really outqualifies my 2 years in North Florida high schools 50+ years ago ... we read De Bello Gallico, excerpts from Vergil, and Contra Catilina, but yes, the complicated grammar had escaped my memory.

And please, call me Ross.