[LMB] OT: University Stickers (WAS OT: Language)

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Fri Jul 19 19:32:09 BST 2019

Hah! In our second year class (!) the teacher had us reading and translating Catullus! Oh, my... some of it was pure tabloid material; and others, better suited to the latrine walls. Though when he was good, he was very, very good. Roman men were about as mealy-mouthed as Elizabethans, or Restoration playwrights, or gangsta' rappers.

I've probably told you all this story before, but in Roman History 101, we had a visiting prof, who walked us through Roman pop culture, and mentioned that about Catullus. Then she said he called someone a name that does not translate well, but the closest modern equivalent is.... and she flicked to a slide showing the face of a very well-known politician with the given name of Richard, and the nickname he was (and still is) universally known by. The entire class cracked up in giggles. Except, perhaps, ones of said politician's party. Even so.....