[LMB] essay question

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 22:41:04 BST 2019

I'm going to be controversial and say that I don't like introductions that
would alter the way I perceive the work.  Afterwords are better.

That said, I think it would be interested to hear about how an author's
conception of character and especially setting (since worldbuilding is so
critical to fantasy and science fiction) change from one work in a series
to another.

In the 5GU, what demons can be has clearly developed, and a few points have
possibly been gently retconned.  The various Penric novellas aren't quite
the same as reading about Tolkien's sequential drafts and watching how his
world evolved through them, but it IS possible to read them in publication
order and see how the conception of the world shifts.  That process would
be fascinating to read about, I think.

But that might be better suited for an essay (which no one expects you to
write) than an introduction.