[LMB] Another Demon question

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sat Jul 20 01:39:05 BST 2019

On Sun, July 7, 2019 8:02 am, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> At one point (which I can't find right now) Pen has a discussion with Des
>  about women carrying demons, and how it affects their lives. Most of
> Des's riders were widows, women past the age of childbearing, or women
> who didn't want children. But she says that demons and pregnancy don't go
> well.
>
> In HH we see Hallana on her third pregnancy, managing despite her demon.
> (Mind you, I doubt much could stop her when she decided to do something.)

We learn, I think, that demon chaos is generally bad for pregnancy;
Hallana has a solution (send the chaos off somewhere else).  It's not
clear that this would work for everybody.  It seems likely to me that
a sorceress using demon magic on herself during pregnancy would likely
suffer some unexpected consequences and spillovers which might affect
the developing child in some way - particularly if they weren't a
trained healer and/or hadn't seen it happen before.  But Hallana is
aware of the danger and seems to have developed a working solution.

> So you can carry a demon and still carry a baby, too. But what does it do
> to the baby? Would there be some effect on the child - some extra powers
> or slight god-touch, or something?

Demonic magic is inherently chaotic, and therefore likely to be destructive.
It seems more likely that any changes would be deleterious rather than
improving -- but one never knows.

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"