[LMB] SP: New Revelations

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jul 20 04:07:35 BST 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:28:11AM -0400, Matthew George wrote:
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
>
> Okay, now that's done.
>
> There are whole bunch of revelations in *Orphans*, but none so shocking as
> the regional map that appears before the story begins.
>
> I'd been trying to mentally associate the various named countries and their
> properties to real-world counterparts.  In particular, I guessed that Adria
> was southern Italy - we don't associate that region with swamps and malaria
> today, but that's because the Romans did a whole lot of draining.  But the
> map explodes that completely - the Italian peninsula doesn't exist!  And
> Africa itself might not exist!

Keep in mind that in our world, Africa is sliding northward, causing
(1) the Mediterranean basin, and (2) pushing northern seafloor up above
water level, including but not limited to Italy, greece, and a lot of
other parts of southern Europe.

Apparently in the 5GW the african plate is still doing some pushing,
but less of it. In that case I'd expect fewer of the features we see in
our world to show up on the (5GW) southern coast than we actually see
on the map. But, that's artistic license for you. :)

Interesting to note that on the map (don't use it as a floatation device!!)
the island of Rathnatta is roughly the size, shape, and position of
modern Sicily. Given that there must be some plate tectonics occurring,
it is probably volcanic in the 5GW as well as here. And some of the
isles marking where Italy is in our world may be too.

> Oh, and the motto of the Fifth God's Order is "No Hands But Ours".  I like
> it.  It's ironic, though, that He has more non-human hands than any other
> of the Five, as the talk with Adelis establishes.
>
> Matt "the symmetry is now officially broken" G.
>
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space
> Just to be sure, spoiler space