[LMB] OT: Downside of eBooks

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jul 20 23:48:02 BST 2019

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 13:53:35 +0000, "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>
wrote:

>Kindle does not use the Cloud; it stores all its books on local memory.
>You CAN redownload all books purchased from Amazon, so if you consider
>THAT the Cloud, so be it. And Kindles are available with up to 32 GB of
>local storage, which should be enough for almost any personal library.

"The Cloud" is just a marketing term for "other people's servers", and
in that sense it does use the cloud; all of your purchases can be
re-downloaded at any time.  NB you never actually *own* them, you can't
leave your ebooks in your will - unless you make a DRM-free copy using
Calibre etc.

The Oasis has 32GB, and is water-resistant - I can get all my purchased
eBooks on there, I suspect (though the terrible indexing would make that
a chore).