[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 12:03:12 BST 2019

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 23:12:35 +0100, John Lennard
<john.c.lennard at gmail.com> wrote:

>Morgoth, Lucifer, Sauron, yup. Malices, aka blight bogles, um ... well, no.
>I know (and have said in print) that few things so discombobulate the List
>as the nature of malices, but however you cut it and whatever the vagueness
>of backstory, they're as hard-wired as metastasising cancer cells ; they
>just do what they do, willy-nilly : and that cannot reasonably be called
>evil, unless you are willing to argue that there is volitionless evil ;
>which I'm certainly not.

A malice is different from a metastizing cancer in the sense that it is,
in some way, not a part of the natural world.  And I know that's another
slippery slope to navigate. It's an outcome of some manner of magic
usage, not the product of evolution.  Nothing else (except people) can
parasitise "ground" in this way.

The malice-Lakewalker axis is in some way orthogonal to the good-evil
one.  Perhaps, in RPG terms, the contrast between "lawful" and "chaotic"
is more meaningful.
--
Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and
campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from