[LMB] TSK - Echoes, malice morality

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 12:05:20 BST 2019

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 19:44:09 -0400, Katherine Collett
<kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

>On Jul 21, 2019, at 7:25 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>>
>> Well, if malices are fragments or copies of some sorcerer king, they
>> could be as intelligent and evil as that sorcerer king. A copy of Hitler
>> isn't less evil than Hitler.
>
>But ... it depends on what you mean by "copy".  A clone of Hitler or anyone would, first of all, be a baby, and be unlikely to grow up exactly the same way.  But in any case, if the copy is in fact human, with free will, then yes, choosing evil would be evil.  But that's not what we see of the malices.  If they are copies, in some sense, of a sorcerer king, they are much more fragmentary copies, and of the king at some fully grown (and fully evil?) point -- which they arrive at not the usual way by growing up and making choices, but through absorbing ground and going through molts and evidently not having any free will or choice at all.

They perhaps more like a computer virus; destructive, but not
fundamentally evil; that distinction belongs to whoever turned it loose.
--
Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and
campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from