[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 19:34:05 BST 2019

The thing was, the "dark satanic mills" in Victorian England WERE
progress!  Prior to the Industrial Revolution, the surplus rural population
had only a few options, and none of them were good.  After the factories
were there, they could go and work in them.

Also, the Industrial Revolution made a lot of things more accessible to the
poor, like making clothes cheaper.

Most of the sneering at factories was by people who were too rich to have
any idea of what life was like for the real poor.  They would rhapsodize
about how much better life was in the country.  Which it was, _if you owned
land!_  Tenants, OTOH, were at the mercy of their landlords, and life in
those quaint, picturesque country cottages was often pretty hellish.