[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Jul 23 02:35:12 BST 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:03:12PM +0100, Marc Wilson wrote:

> A malice is different from a metastizing cancer in the sense that it is,
> in some way, not a part of the natural world.  And I know that's another
> slippery slope to navigate. It's an outcome of some manner of magic
> usage, not the product of evolution.  Nothing else (except people) can
> parasitise "ground" in this way.

Yeah, that's a very debatable distinction.  One could argue that humans
are simply the first species to develop groundsense, like the first
animal to develop armored exoskeletons or vision or flight.  The fact
that malices have a profound advantage over anything else needn't mean
they're unnatural, just that they have a big first mover advantage,
which everything will have to adapt to or die.  Mass extinctions are
perfectly natural.

-xx- Damien X-)