[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Jul 23 02:59:09 BST 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 01:34:05PM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:
> The thing was, the "dark satanic mills" in Victorian England WERE
> progress!  Prior to the Industrial Revolution, the surplus rural population
> had only a few options, and none of them were good.  After the factories

The Industrial Revolution was partly powered by actively reducing the
options of the rural population.  Enclosing common land for a lord's
sheep and *making* people 'surplus'.  You don't get to destroy someone's
life and then claim credit for giving them new options... which were
pretty crappy anyway until a lot of social pushback by reformers to
improve labor and environmental conditions.

Not to mention all the pollution.  Even rural England became so filthy
that the pepper moth visibly evolved in response, and while LotR was
being revised 4000 people died in the Great Smog of 1952.

Yes, if you stand back far enough and long enough there was progress.
But if I steal $10,000 from you and make $20,000 and give you back
$5,000, are you going to be happy and call that progress?

> Also, the Industrial Revolution made a lot of things more accessible to the
> poor, like making clothes cheaper.

And gin, making alcoholism cheaper.

> about how much better life was in the country.  Which it was, _if you owned
> land!_

Or had decent access to land.

> Tenants, OTOH, were at the mercy of their landlords, and life in

Yes, and exactly that 'mercy' kicked people off the land, to be at the
mercy of factory employers instead, with cheaper clothes but worse air.

-xx- Damien X-)