[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Jul 23 03:09:44 BST 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 04:59:10PM +0000, Joel Polowin wrote:
> Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Gwynne: One thing that depresses me about most evil overlords is that they're
> > so small, in their ambitions. Yes, they want to take over the world, etc etc, but...
> > then what? They have no reason for doing it except to bounce around gloating.
>
> In many cases, the goal is to be in absolute control.  They intend
> to spend the rest of their lives occupied with the business of
> running things.  The matter of removing other people's agency and
> freedom-to-choose is one aspect of their being evil.  Another is that
> they're willing to perform a great deal of harm towards getting and
> keeping that control.
>
> A nice example is Baron Wulfenbach, from _Girl Genius_.  His goal is
> control, to stem the chaos that is making everyone's lives a dangerous

I think calling Klaus "evil overlord" is a big stretch.  He hasn't been
going for absolute control not seek to remove people's agency in
general.  He comes down hard on Spark-warlords who are themselves
hurting people.  He avoids killing wherever he can (the ultimate removal
of agency) and gives captured soldiers a choice.

The Other, on the other hand, was literally out to mind control
everyone.  And while most of what we see of her fits "power-hungry,
megalomaniac, and probably sadistic" she did drop a "stop all that
fighting" line to Klaus -- though she also manipulates people a lot and
might have been trying to appeal to him.

-xx- Damien X-)