[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 05:31:02 BST 2019

The Scottish enclosures started before the Industrial Revolution did; they
happened because the lairds found out that sheep were more profitable than
crofters.  (And my half-Scottish-and-darn-proud-of-it mother used to say
that coming between a Scot and silver was not something to be done
lightly.)  As for Ireland, the place had been horribly mismanaged by
everybody involved for a long time, but what precipitated things was the
potato famine.  There had always also been more children born in rural
areas than there was farmland for; prior to the Industrial Revolution, the
options were emigration, the army (for men and those who could pass as
male) and prostitution (for women.)  My own paternal ancestors left Norway
because, as younger children, they were not going to inherit the family
farms.

For modern examples of "Dark Lords" who do not/did not think of themselves
as "dark," look no further than North Korea.  The Kims run that country
like a combination of Oceania in *Nineteen Eighty-Four* (without the
telescreens; they're too poor to rig those up) and Genua in *Witches Abroad*.
"The Dear Leader wants you to be Happy.  If you are not Happy, we will
throw you into a re-education camp where you will be made to be Happy.
Serve the Dear Leader.  The Dear Leader is your friend."  All Communist
regimes had this to some extent, but the Koreans took it far past anybody
else.