[LMB] Dark Brittanic Mills

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 17:16:56 BST 2019

Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
> BTW, thank you all for confirming my original argument several times
> over: that Saruman was not, in his own mind, a villain, but a Prometheus
> figure. Except, of course, in his determination to do what he saw fit
> and to blazes with the cost to others.

Few people are villains in their own minds.  There aren't a lot of
"Bwa-ha-ha, I am so evil!" moustache-twirlers outside of blatant
melodramas.  But Sauron went out of his way to hurt people -- "He
will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness,
where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked
to the Lidless Eye" -- and I don't think he'd deny that he was doing
that for any reason apart from enjoying the hurting (with a side of
"example to others").  Anyone who tried to raise the issue with him
would be off to those "houses of lamentation" well before they finished
the sentence, of course.

Joel