[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 17:35:01 BST 2019

Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 04:59:10PM +0000, Joel Polowin wrote:
>>> Gwynne: One thing that depresses me about most evil overlords is that they're
>>> so small, in their ambitions. Yes, they want to take over the world, etc etc, but...
>>> then what? They have no reason for doing it except to bounce around gloating.
>>
>> In many cases, the goal is to be in absolute control.  They intend
>> to spend the rest of their lives occupied with the business of
>> running things.  The matter of removing other people's agency and
>> freedom-to-choose is one aspect of their being evil.  Another is that
>> they're willing to perform a great deal of harm towards getting and
>> keeping that control.
>>
>> A nice example is Baron Wulfenbach, from _Girl Genius_.  His goal is
>> control, to stem the chaos that is making everyone's lives a dangerous
> I think calling Klaus "evil overlord" is a big stretch.  He hasn't been
> going for absolute control not seek to remove people's agency in
> general.

On the whole, I agree with you.  Popular opinion in that world tends
otherwise, though, I think.  Certainly almost everybody is terrified
of him, and a lot of people regard him as evil.  (Othar Tryggvassen --
Gentleman Adventurer! -- is a special case, as always.)  It probably
comes down to one's own interactions with him.  Has he liberated you
from some horrible madman or Abomination of Science, or has he or one
of his agents done something horrible to you and yours in the course
of pursuing his agenda?

No question that he's an overlord, at any rate, and I was addressing
Gwynne's question of "why?".

Joel