[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 18:17:45 BST 2019

From: Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gwynne: One thing that depresses me about most evil overlords is that they're
> so small, in their ambitions. Yes, they want to take over the world, etc etc, but...
> then what? They have no reason for doing it except to bounce around gloating.

In many cases, the goal is to be in absolute control.  They intend
to spend the rest of their lives occupied with the business of
running things.  The matter of removing other people's agency and
freedom-to-choose is one aspect of their being evil.  Another is that
they're willing to perform a great deal of harm towards getting and
keeping that control.

A nice example is Baron Wulfenbach, from _Girl Genius_.  His goal is
control, to stem the chaos that is making everyone's lives a dangerous
nightmare.  He doesn't particularly want to be in charge, and hates
that he has to spend his life maintaining his empire rather than doing
interesting things.  But his perception is that somebody needs to
do the job, and that he can't trust anyone else to do it properly.....

Gwynne: I have a horrible suspicion that in a slightly different world
I could have been that kind of evil overlord: not EVIL exactly, just fed
up with inefficiency and lack of organisation. (So often when watching
some wonderful show, performance, or event I spend half the time
wondering about all the organisation it'd take to get it all up and
running.  Seriously, most people never realise the work going on behind
the scenes. And it has to be done properly.)