[LMB] TSK - Echoes

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Tue Jul 23 22:32:57 BST 2019

Gwynne: > not only are so many evil overlords apparently
>very limited in their ambitions, but often it's rather pointless.

Of all examples mentioned it seems odd to omit renegade Lakewalker Crane.

Seems to me a typical progression. He breaks custom of his people. Cast out,
he turns to theft. Theft progresses to violence and murder.  Murder to
cruelty for cruelty's own sake.

Crane seems to have missed out on rape, perjury, arson ...  although given
time perhaps he'd fill in the list.

There are categories of sins and abominations not usually covered among
the "seven deadly" -- perhaps being subsumed by the motive rather than
the actions themselves.  The most common are actions that break down
the society itself.  False weights and measures.  Property markers or
milestones shifted. Adulterated precious metals or milled coins. Forging
signatures or terms on deeds and contracts. Violation of copyright or
patents or trade reputation. To an extent, social crimes include
the perfidious abuse of claimed privilege afforded to civilians, or women, or
children, or third party nationals, or houses of worship or hospitals --
the privilege then used as a part of an attack.  Those who regard all
war as sinful make little special regard for perfidy but those who hope
to end a dispute with a better deal than it began have special white hot
hatred for the perfidious. Personally I lean to the latter.  I'd
condemn all those who suddenly claim to be vegetarians because they want a
slice of scarce pizza; who claim a pet as a "service animal" to get into
stores and airlines; and those who fudge health conditions to avoid
jury service. Abominable -- but not among the sins personified in the
DC comics "Shazam" movie.

Fawn's cultural assumptions, shaped between West Blue and Glassforge,
regard "bandits" as a menace on par with "blight bogels" and the
Lakewalkers as the authorizes to deal with either.  This attitude then
leaves all the -- I think more serious -- abominations against social
trust in the hands of the village clerks. A daughter cast out with no
"due share", a field discovered to be smaller than documented, a coin
from Silver Shoals that's made of tin rather than silver ... The
Lakewalkers take no interest that we see.

Long way around, but I suggest that the ability of malices to destroy
"ground" -- the real structure of the world --  is abominable in the
same way attacking of social constructs are hateful, terrible, sinful,
and plain evil.  Malices may not be motivated by evil, but they
act that way.