[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Wed Jul 24 10:56:16 BST 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 04:35:01PM +0000, Joel Polowin wrote:
> Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

> > I think calling Klaus "evil overlord" is a big stretch.  He hasn't been
> > going for absolute control not seek to remove people's agency in
> > general.
>
> On the whole, I agree with you.  Popular opinion in that world tends
> otherwise, though, I think.  Certainly almost everybody is terrified
> of him, and a lot of people regard him as evil.  (Othar Tryggvassen --
> Gentleman Adventurer! -- is a special case, as always.)  It probably
> comes down to one's own interactions with him.  Has he liberated you
> from some horrible madman or Abomination of Science, or has he or one
> of his agents done something horrible to you and yours in the course
> of pursuing his agenda?

Also, "are you an ordinary person who was subject to capricious Spark
warlords, or are you a capricious Spark warlord resentful that he's
stopping your fun?"  Often it's the petty tyrant nobles who complain the
most about the tyranny of the king...

The ones who rant about Klaus have been Zola, Tarvek, Tweedle, and
Othar.  Aristocrats and a madman.  Master Payne respects him.  Nameless
villagers... get portrayed as suspicious and fearful, and Klaus doesn't
seem to have invested much in public services beyond peacekeeping, so if
Wulfenbach forces show up it's because something's already wrong.  Kind
of like Gandalf in Lord of the Rings: he may be here to help but it's
hard to be happy to see him.  (Unless you're a hobbit-child.)

> No question that he's an overlord, at any rate, and I was addressing

True!

-xx- Damien X-)
https://mindstalk.dreamwidth.org/