[LMB] Dark Brittanic Mills, Saruman

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Wed Jul 24 14:23:41 BST 2019

Yup. Straight out of the "backward people improvers" handbook, whether missionaries, NGO's, or whatever: We are here to Bring You Out Of Darkness Into Light. To mention that this might be paternalism run rampant would be greeted by most with "But they NEED it!" But the top-down approach has many weaknesses.

Am reminded of Donald Kingsbury's Courtship Rite, in which the fastest-growing clan is successful because they *ask* future clients "What is happening that should not?" and "What is not happening that should?" and then addressing that. Even if it meant, in one case, deposing the local rulers and suggesting they turn their talents to architecture, their only positive achievement to date. Now, if Saruman had gone around asking the poorest people of Middle Earth what they wanted on needed, I'm sure he - and the squirearchy as represented by the Baggins family - would have gotten an earful.

One minor thread in the Georgette Heyer Regency Romances I read is the landowners going in for agricultural improvements on their own lands, whether it be canals, new crops, etc ... a very good *start* in dealing with an agrarian population. Then when they felt the need for railroads, frex, to get their crops to market (one weakness of the Confederate plantocracy.. the North had and used railroads etc to great effect)... well, you can take it from there. Bottom-up tends to be more lasting.