[LMB] Fwd: Re: TSK - Echoes

Baur baur at chello.at
Wed Jul 24 16:01:29 BST 2019

Am 24.07.2019 um 16:42 schrieb Aruvqan Myers:

> On 7/23/2019 2:42 AM, markus baur wrote:
>>
>> it was mostly the disease environment that made cities population sinks
>>
>> servus
>>
>> markus
>
> Speak for yourself ... let me remind you of petty and gross thievery,
> profiteering by food merchants and landlords, lack of 'community' and
> the shabby treatment of people by the court system.

all true ..

but if you start cramming people together in large numbers without
proper sanitation, what we would call potable water and medical help
priced out of range for large parts of the population every communicable
disease is a potential disaster that can (and often will) kill off a
large percentage of the population ..

afaik its quite accepted among historians that city population kept
numbers stable by continously having people moving into them - and would
show a population decline without it .. and its also quite accepted that
diseases played a very large role in that negative population growth

servus

markus

> Out in a small village in the country side you may be stuck farming
> because everybody before you were farmers, but if someone stole your
> best shirt, someone would notice and you would probably get it back and
> the person punished in the 'court  of public opinion' as well as taken
> in front of the local magistrate. Nobody wants their granny pissed off
> at them for taking the neighbors milking stool ... in town, dodge to the
> next neighborhood over and fence the loot and as long as you didn't get
> caught with your hand in the till [or standing over the body with the
> cudgel in your hand] you pretty much got away with most crimes. If you
> did get suspected of being the criminal in the city, hauled in front of
> the local magistrate and you could be railroaded into being guilty
> becuase you were common scum and automatically guilty. Petty nobility
> were *not* nice people.
>
> Stuck on the land with reasonably fresh air, an odd combination of
> periods of intense work and nothing to do [planting and harvesting were
> busy times, high summer you gardened your kitchen garden rather than the
> grain fields, and winters you repaired equipment] and more of a local
> mindset is a safe life. Cities with disease, crime, profiteering and
> being considered scum by your betters while you are 'free' is much less
> appealing. There was a reason people left to go to the new world
> colonies in droves - you could get your own land and not be considered
> one of a long line of peasant scum.

Email from my mobile connection.