[LMB] OT: Tree maturity, was Copyright was:Clandestine Classics

Aruvqan Myers aruvqan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 16:51:48 BST 2019

Revisiting an ancient posting because I am going through all the emails
and deciding what to actually save and which to discard because I can
get them at the archived list ...

Upon trees ...

I had to hire an arborist to deal with the microforest here at Casa
Aruvqan. I inherited the [new as of 1970] family homestead in western NY
state because my father died a decade ago, my brother died 3 years ago
and my mom died 2 years back, leaving me the lucky tontine and
inheriting the house and anything not nailed down [and as my D&D
character says, she has a crowbar if it is nailed down] and the trees
had been woefully neglected.

Mainly because I have one of a bare handfull of no shit real *American
Chestnut* trees outside of an arboretum growing in the yard. My tree guy
Dan is a noted NY state arborist and he recommends I do *not* register
it on the registry of rare trees site because people will come and look
at the damned thing, but also steal cuttings and possibly kill the poor
thing taking the cuttings [ @_@ ]

Needless to say, we do plan on properly taking cuttings to grow more of
them, and I do plan on spreading the trees around so there are more out
there. I was also thinking of pranking the local ag school by taking a
frond and asking them what the tree was, but unfortunately Dan is a
major lecturer there and they all know about Fred [we named the tree] so
I couldn't get away with it. *sigh*

It puts me in mind of how the Vorkosigan ag bunch are seen out spreading
terrestrial trees around the Vorkosigan holding when they do a fly over
with Ekaterine to go look for rocks and property for the BugButter Ranch.