[LMB] OT: Tree maturity, was Copyright was:Clandestine Classics

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 26 13:19:30 BST 2019

From: Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>

On the topic of chestnut trees, because* I just read this:
Coppicing trees leads to multi-generation trees in one small area, leading
to a variety of wildlife habitats.
[*] also because there are many, many people on this list who like Knowing
All The Things
https://www.quora.com/Did-people-in-ancient-and-medieval-times-mainly-use-wood-to-fuel-their-fires-If-so-how-did-they-avoid-scarcity/answer/Julia-Herdman-1
Sylvia

Gwynne: That's fascinating. I don't think many people realise that medieval forests
weren't just a whole lot of trees, but were managed very carefully. (A lot of fairy tales
have a forester featuring; most people never seemed to wonder what he actually did
out there when he wasn't being part of a fairy tale. It was a recognised occupation, the
listeners at the time would accept and understand the character.)