[LMB] What makes a character irredeemable?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 04:07:02 BST 2019

From: Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>

Thinking about our recent quote-exchange about good and evil, I found my
thoughts returning to The Curse of Chalion.  We're told Dondo dy Jironal
ends up in the Bastard's Hell, while Martou is taken up by the Father.  And
the Gods are the closest thing we're likely to get to an objective and
absolute judgment in that universe.  (Ultimately everything is derived from
Lois Bujold's opinions of course, but that's not my intended point.)
What is it, precisely, that takes Dondo out of our sympathies?  To use a
Troperism, he crosses the Moral Event Horizon.  But why and how?
Matt G.

Gwynne: Martou genuinely believes that he's the right person to run the
country, that Iselle is a foolish girl who is going to throw the country away.
Dondo does what he does from spite and malice; he's even trying to dispose
of Martou before the demon gets him. Sarah talks about the terrible time she
was forced to have sex with them both, trying to get pregnant; Martou was
respectful, Dondo took delight in humiliating her. Both of them did some
terrible things, but their motivation was very different.