[LMB] What makes a character irredeemable?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 30 00:50:16 BST 2019

Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
> But, here's the thing - as readers, we're primed to view both those
> destructions as suitable and proper.  The sundering and destruction of
> Horseriver is clearly meant to be perceived as a tragedy, although he
> probably did more damage than either Dondo or Joen.
>
> So my question is:  how does LB cause us to view Dondo's destruction as
> just and right?  Induce us to not shed tears at his destruction.  Because
> it seems clear that's the authorial intent, and one that is very successful.

Horseriver is shown to be in a trap that is (mostly) not of his
own making.  He has endured centuries of torment.  He wants to end it
all, and his sanity is questionable.  His great sin -- I'm using that
term loosely -- is that he's willing to take all of the people he's
responsible for with him.  Apart from that, he's not intentionally
causing suffering.

Whereas Dondo has none of those justifications.  The eponymous curse
was twisting things to the worse, but there's little indication that
it was a significant factor in Dondo's personality.

Joel