[LMB] What makes a character irredeemable?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 30 17:55:51 BST 2019

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gwynne: I see Horseriver's sundering as a tragedy because he's taken so
> many innocent generations of souls with him. All those descendants had
> no choice from the moment he invaded them. I was so sad at the last that
> they couldn't be drawn out from him, as the animal spirits were. I think the
> Gods should have found a way to separate those spirits, and give each
> one a choice. That's the tragedy there.

Well, there's the thing.  From what we've been shown -- that they
hate to lose even a single soul -- I'm certain that they would have
if they could.  But though they're described as Gods, their powers are
very sharply limited.  Horseriver accumulated centuries of bitterness
because they hadn't fixed his problem *somehow*, and in that bitterness
was willing to deny them not only his own soul but also those of his
warriors.  But some kinds of magic are able to keep a soul away from
the Gods (see also Arhys) and the Gods can't do anything about it.
Being joined to an animal spirit makes a soul unavailable to the Gods,
and that's the way it is.

A thing that strikes me as a bit odd is that people in the 5GU
keep on praying to the Gods -- and in some cases thanking them for,
after the fact -- for things that the Gods utterly cannot influence.
And it's not like the temples are making a secret of that, AFAICT;
Ordol was pretty clear about what they can and can't do, and there
were services based on those limitations.  I can understand why the
temples don't push this *too* hard, since someone needs to pay for
maintaining the system, and the temples unquestionably have value in
people's lives and towards their afterlives.  But still.

Joel