[LMB] TSK - Echoes

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 30 20:57:23 BST 2019

Arguably, the rot and decay had set in much earlier -- the proscriptions
of the First Triumvirate (c. 60-50 BC), the Marius and Sulla civil wars
(c. 80-70 BC), the mob murders of the Gracchi brothers (c. 130-120 BC).
Augustus gets lots of credit by _ending_ the war period, but he does
it mostly by being the last one standing and getting to fund all the poets
who talked about the golden age...

Tony Z

On Tue, July 30, 2019 1:41 pm, Corrina Lawson wrote:
> August Caeser was followed by Tiberius, who while mostly competent, also
> had a reputation for tossing young boys off cliffs. Or abused them, such
> as his nephew, Caligula.
>
> So, really, the rot and decay set in as soon as Augustus died.
>

> Corrina
> P.S. Unless you believe I, Claudius that Livia was behind all the horrible
>  things, which means even Augustus had monstrous flaws.
>
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 12:53 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Part of the problem with even the most competent, benevolent
>> all-powerful overlord is that he is a man.  He is mortal.  He will
>> eventually die.  And then you roll the iron dice to see who succeeds
>> him.  That's part of my problem with SM Stirling's "Chamberverse" novels
>> (that, and I don't think
>> that even Teddy Roosevelt, with the bit in his teeth and Congress 100%
>> behind him, could have made all the changes we see as fast as they are
>> said to have been made.).  While TR himself is a good guy, who will come
>> after when he dies, to find all that power in his hands?  How long was
>> it from the death of Augustus Caesar to the reign of Caligula?
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 8:18 AM Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> A benevolent (and competent) dictator is the ideal form of
>>> government.
>>>
>>> The trick is securing both these attributes in the same person, when
>>> so many lack either. --
>>> It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of
>>> work to do, There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to
>>> do.  Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting
>>> one.  Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen.    - Jerome K.
>>> Jerome
>>> --

> www.corrina-lawson.com --

Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"