[LMB] Belief: Was What makes a character irredeemable?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 12:51:25 BST 2019

Just pondering....:

In the 5GU there's a huge schism between Quadrenes and Quintarians.

But there doesn't seem to be a lot of atheism. I can't remember any character
that discusses it.

They might worship the gods, argue 4 vs 5, hate the gods, blame the gods,
ignore the gods or chat with them regularly. One thing nobody seems to do
 is to not believe.

Maybe that's because the gods do show up, now and then, in a very personal
and recognisable form.

But it wouldn't be easy to be an atheist, anyway. From what we see of society,
it's very strongly linked to religion; times of the year are linked to festivals for
each god. The legal system, health, education, and the military are all run through
the temple, mostly by divines, dedicats and acolytes, as well as lay personnel.
The temple trains you, most higher-level jobs require you to join the temple.

And of course the Temple has birth, death and marriage, too.

So you have to at least go through the motions, to survive in that  society.

And when you're worried, and desperate, and you pray or donate or go on a
pilgrimage, at least you can feel that you're doing something. You're no longer
just helpless.